For women, fairy tales about hair care are always around the corner. In the world of beauty and fashion, various hair stories and myths are passed on from one generation of women to the other. Some of these include urban legends such as the reversible split ends and the “coming out of other grey hairs when one grey hair is plucked.” Another example of a hair care myth is that some women already have naturally perfect, smooth, and straight hair upon waking up.
Women with wavy, curly, or straight hair know that in order to get perfectly smooth hair, there should be some sort of heat styling involved. If a woman has beautiful and straight hair, she only needs a blow-dryer in order to get that sleek and sexy look. However, if a woman has thick and textured hair, she needs the help of a flat iron in order to achieve straight strands.
The good news is that there is no need to consult a hair expert for some hair caring and styling. With the right amount of preparation, responsible management, and tips on straight hair care, it’s not hard to become a professional. This article shows the different tips on proper hair care needed in hair straightening like a pro.
• Use flat irons that are the right size for the hair. The flat iron’s size should depend on the thickness and length of a woman’s hair. By using the right-sized flat iron, hair will be straightened more efficiently and can be manoeuvred more easily. Not to mention, it can also lessen the chance of hair damage due to overheating.
1.) For fine or thick, short hair: Use a narrow-plated iron with sizes ranging from 0.5 to 1 inch thick. It could help iron the smaller sections of the hair.
2.) For fine or thick, long hair: Use a wide-plated iron with sizes ranging from 1.5 inches to 2 inches wide. It can iron more surface sections of the hair at a shorter amount of time.
Just be cautious about the flat iron’s weight. It is not advisable to use flat irons that are heavier than 2 lbs. because it can hurt the arm while styling.
• Set the right heat temperature needed. Heat settings should be based on hair type and texture. It is recommended to use a flat iron with heat setting that varies, depending on your hair needs. Using this type of flat iron will not damage the hair. According to Amita Moticka, celebrity hairstylist and DiPietro Todd Salons Academy Director of HairCutting Education, damaged or fine hair requires a heat temperature ranging from 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Average or medium-length hair requires 300 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit while coarse or thick hair requires 350 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit of heat setting.
• Consider the materials used on flat irons. Flat irons that have titanium, tourmaline, or ceramic metals are recommended to prevent heat damage on hair. It is because they work on tightening the cuticle of the hair with an even amount of heat. As a result, healthier, shinier, and frizz-free hair can be achieved. On the other side, be cautious on using Teflon-coated flat irons as they may provide a drying effect on hair.
• After getting the tips about flat irons, the next step to crucial straight hair care is the proper preparation of your strands before undergoing any heat styling.
1.) For fine hair: Wash it with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Before blow-drying, apply volumizing mousse that has heat protection. After blow-drying, comb the hair starting from mid-shaft down to the ends using a brush with natural bristles.
2.) For coarse hair: Wash it with a smoothening shampoo and conditioner. Before blow-drying, apply a smoothening serum that has heat protection properties. Dry the hair using a blow-dryer and comb it with a bristled brush.
• Go for a polished and super straight hair look. In order to achieve this, consider the following steps:
1.) Create manageable sections when clipping blow-dried hair.
2.) Then, use the flat iron to smooth down at least 2 inches of these manageable sections.
3.) Continue this until hair becomes flat and smooth.
4.) Apply shine spray.
• Want to achieve a voluminous look just like Jennifer Aniston’s hair? Work on ironing the hair in a different manner. Upon reaching the end section of straightened hair, slightly twist your wrist away from the face. This will give a little bit of flip and bounce to your hair. Hold by applying hairspray.
• Remember these important “Don’ts”:
1.) Do not use a flat iron on wet hair. It can fry your strands and cause further damage to your hair.
2.) Do not use chipped or broken flat irons.
3.) Do not iron the hair every day as frequent and prolonged exposure to high heat can cause dryness and brittleness.
4.) Do not forget to clean the flat iron using lukewarm water or cleaner and cloth once it has cooled down in order to prevent product build-up on plates.
While having sleek and glossy hair seems natural for celebrities like Angeline Jolie and Mila Kunis, their hair stylists have played important roles in order to set their hairdos smoothly. By following the above-mentioned tips, achieving a hairstyle similar to a particular celebrity is not impossible. It’s all about the combination of proper straight hair care and practicing your techniques until you get everything right.